- [06/2022] Join Amazon Lab126 as Applied Scientist.
- [04/2022] Successfully defend my Ph.D. dissertation.
- [04/2022] Participate in NSF I-Corps Spring 2022 as Entrepreneurial Lead.
- [12/2021] Be awarded NVIDIA CCS Best Student Paper.
- [11/2021] One oral paper is accepted to FG 2021.
- [10/2021] One patent is published: WO/2021/163103.
- [07/2021] One paper is accepted to ACM MM 2021.
- [06/2021] Our team ranked the 4th place in CVPR21 Challenge on Agriculture Vision.
- [05/2021] One paper is accepted to CVPR 2021 Workshops.
- [04/2021] Our team won the championships in both RGB & RGB-D tracks of CVPR21 Challenge on Large Scale Signer Independent Isolated Sign Language Recognition.
- [01/2021] One paper is accepted to IEEE TIP.
- [12/2020] One paper is accepted to Nature: Commun. Biol.
- [11/2020] One patent is published: WO/2020/232069.
- [10/2020] One patent is granted: US Patent 10,825,219.
- [03/2020] One paper is accepted by FG 2020.
- [02/2020] One paper is accepted to Lab on a Chip.
- [01/2020] One patent is published: US/2020/0015575.
- [03/2019] One paper is accepted to FG 2019.
- [01/2019] Receive GapFund360 Award.
I'm interested in computer vision, machine learning, image processing, and computational photography.
My current research includes whole-body pose estimation, skeleton-based sign language recognition and action recognition.
Hybrid Pixel-Unshuffled Network for Lightweight Image Super-Resolution
Bin Sun, Yulun Zhang, Songyao Jiang, and Yun Fu
Under review, 2022
Downsampling features for multi-resolution fusion is an efficient and effective way to improve the performance of visual recognition.
Still, it is counter-intuitive in the SR task, which needs to project a low-resolution input to high-resolution. In this paper,
we propose a novel Hybrid Pixel-Unshuffled Network (HPUN) by introducing an efficient and effective downsampling module into the SR task.
Sign Language Recognition via Skeleton Aware Multi-modal Ensemble (SAM-SLR-v2)
Songyao Jiang, Bin Sun, Lichen Wang, Yue Bai, Kunpeng Li, and Yun Fu
Under review, 2021
This paper is an extension of our previous work SAM-SLR that won the sign language recognition challenge in CVPR 2021.
Our major improvements include introducing a new Keypoint3D modality that improves the ensemble accuracy in the RGB-D scenario.
proposing a Global Ensemble Model to automatically learn multi-modal ensemble,
and providing extensive experiments on three major SLR datasets.
Our approach achieves the state-of-the-art performance with significant margins.
Skeleton Aware Multi-modal Sign Language Recognition (SAM-SLR)
Songyao Jiang, Bin Sun, Lichen Wang, Yue Bai, Kunpeng Li, and Yun Fu
Championships winner of the CVPR21 Challenge on Sign Language Recognition
CVPR21 Workshop, 2021
RGB Leaderboard /
We proposed a skeleton-aware multi-modal sign language recognition framework (SAM-SLR) to capture information from multiple modalities
and assemble them together to further boost the performance. Our team ranked 1st in both RGB and RGB-D tracks in the challenge.
Multi-label Semantic Segmentation for Multi-modal Agricultural Pattern Recognition
Songyao Jiang, Bin Sun, and Yun Fu
Ranked 4th in the CVPR21 Challenge on the Agriculture-Vision, 2021
We developed a framework consisting a GCN based and a DeepLabv3 based multi-label semantic segmentation models to recognize the agricultural patterns (e.g. cloud shadow, double plant, standing water and weed cluster) in multi-modal RGB and NIR aerospace images. Our final result achieved 0.507 mIoU.
Geometrically Editable Face Image Translation With Adversarial Networks
Songyao Jiang, Zhiqiang Tao, and Yun Fu
IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (TIP), 2021
We formulate the image translation problem as multi-domain mappings in both geometric and attribute
directions and propose a novel Geometrically Editable Generative Adversarial Networks (GEGAN) model to learn such mappings of geometric editable translations.
Spatially Constrained GAN for Face and Fashion Synthesis
Songyao Jiang, Hongfu Liu, Yue Wu and Yun Fu
IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition (FG)2021
NVIDIA CCS Best Student Paper Award
Image generation has raised tremendous attention
in both academic and industrial areas, especially
for criminal portrait and fashion design.
We propose a novel Spatially Constrained Generative Adversarial Network
, which decouples the spatial constraints from
the latent vector and makes them feasible as
additional controllable signals.
Harnessing Deep Learning to Overcome Photo-toxicity for Live-cell Imaging
Zhenmin Hong, Tengqian Sun, Songyao Jiang, Kunpeng Li, Yun Fu, Huizhong Xu, Jin Zhang, Yongmin Liu, Qing Ye, Hu Cang
Under review, 2021
Photo-toxicity is a long-standing challenge in live-cell imaging, which damages macromolecules and organelles,
impairs biological processes, and even compromises cells, leading to cell death. We demonstrate a deep-learning
strategy to minimize photodamages and enable high-speed imaging of transient cellular events that are difficult to capture.
SuperFront: From Low-resolution to High-resolution Frontal Face Synthesis
Yu Yin, Joseph P. Robinson, Songyao Jiang, Yue Bai, Can Qin and Yun Fu
ACM Multimedia (ACMMM), 2021
Paper / GitHub
Existing face frontalization methods tend to focus on samples with variation in pose, but with the assumption data
is high in quality. We propose a generative adversarial network (GAN) -based model to generate high-quality,
identity preserving frontal faces from one or multiple low-resolution (LR) faces with extreme poses.
Dual-Attention GAN for Large-Pose Face Frontalization
Yu Yin, Songyao Jiang, Joseph P. Robinson, and Yun Fu
IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition (FG), 2020
Face frontalization provides an effective and efficient way for face data augmentation and further improves the
face recognition performance in extreme pose scenario. We present a novel
Dual-Attention Generative Adversarial Network (DA-GAN) for
photo-realistic face frontalization by capturing both contextual
dependencies and local consistency during GAN training.
Machine Learning-aided Quantification of Antibody-based Cancer Immunotherapy by Natural Killer Cells in Microfluidic Droplets
Saheli Sarkar, Wenjing Kang, Songyao Jiang, Kunpeng Li, Somak Ray, Ed Luther, Alexander R Ivanov, Yun Fu, and Tania Konry
Lab on a Chip, 2020
Natural killer (NK) cells have emerged as an effective alternative option to T cell-based immunotherapies,
particularly against liquid (hematologic) tumors. This paper describes a microfluidic
droplet-based cytotoxicity assay for quantitative comparison of immunotherapeutic NK-92 cell interaction with various types of target cells.
Machine learning algorithms were developed to assess the dynamics of individual effector-target cell pair conjugation and target death in droplets in a semi-automated manner.
Video-based Multi-person Pose Estimation and Tracking
Songyao Jiang, and Yun Fu
Patent Published WO/2020/232069, 2020
Our invention aims to tackle the video-based multi-person pose estimation problem using a deep learning framework
with multi-frame refinement and optimization. Our method inherently tracks the estimated poses
and makes the model insensitive to occlusions. Moreover, we reduce the shaking and vibrations phenomenon of the estimated pose skeletons in video pose estimation.
Segmentation Guided Image-to-Image Translation with Adversarial Networks
Songyao Jiang, Zhiqiang Tao and Yun Fu
IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition (FG), 2019
Recently image-to-image translation methods neglect to utilize higher-level and instance-specific
information to guide the training process, leading to a great
deal of unrealistic generated images of low quality. We propose a novel Segmentation
Guided Generative Adversarial Networks, which
leverages semantic segmentation to further boost the generation
performance and provide spatial mapping.
Face Recognition and Verification in Low-light Condition
Songyao Jiang, Yue Wu, Zhengming Ding, and Yun Fu
This project tends to solve the problem of recognizing people in low light condition,
which is quite useful in security. In low-light condition, we usually utilize near IR,
mid-range IR and long-range IR to obtain the portrait images of the target person.
In our low-light face recognition and verification system, we developed a semi-supervised and an unsupervised
transfer learning methods to transfer the knowledge we learned from visible spectrum to
IR spectrum. .
Rule-Based Facial Makeup Recommendation System
Taleb Alashkar, Songyao Jiang and Yun Fu
IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition (FG), 2017
An automatic and smart facial makeup recommendation
and synthesis system is proposed. An automatic facial
makeup synthesis system is aslo developed to apply the recommended style
on the facial image as well. A new dataset with 961 different females photos
collected and labeled.
Examples-Rules Guided Deep Neural Network for Makeup Recommendation
Taleb Alashkar, Songyao Jiang, Shuyang Wang and Yun Fu
AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), 2017
We consider a fully automatic makeup recommendation system and propose a novel
examples-rules guided deep neural network approach. Makeup-related facial traits are classified into structured
coding. These facial traits are fed in- to examples-rules guided deep
neural recommendation model which makes use of the pairwise of Before-After images
and the makeup artist knowledge jointly. To visualize the recommended makeup
style, an automatic makeup synthesis system is developed as well.
- B. Sun, Y. Zhang, S. Jiang, and Y. Fu, “Hybrid Pixel-Unshuffled Network for Lightweight Image Super-Resolution,”
Under Review, 2021.
- S. Jiang, B. Sun, L. Wang, Y. Bai, K. Li, and Y. Fu, “Sign Language Recognition via Skeleton-aware Multi-modal Ensemble,”
Under Review, 2021.
- S. Jiang, B. Sun, L. Wang, Y. Bai, K. Li, and Y. Fu, “Skeleton Aware Multi-modal Sign Language Recognition,”
in Proceedings of IEEE/CVF Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Workshops, 2021.
- S. Jiang, Z. Tao, and Y. Fu, “Geometrically Editable Face Image Translation with Adversarial Networks,”
IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (TIP), 2021.
- S. Jiang, H. Liu, Y. Wu, and Y. Fu, “Spatially Constrained GAN for Face and Fashion Synthesis,”
in Proceedings of 16th IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition (FG), 2021.
- Y. Yin, J. P. Robinson, S. Jiang, and Y. Fu, “SuperFront: From Low-resolution to High-resolution Frontal Face Synthesis,”
in Proceedings of ACM Multimedia (ACMMM), 2021.
- Y. Yin, S. Jiang, J. P. Robinson, and Y. Fu, “Dual-attention GAN for Large-pose Face Frontalization,”
in Proceedings of 15th IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition (FG), 2020.
- S. Sarkar, W. Kang, S. Jiang, K. Li, S. Ray, E. Luther, ... and T. Konry, “Machine learning-aided quantification of antibody-based cancer immunotherapy by natural killer cells in microfluidic droplets,”
Lab on a Chip, 20(13), pp. 2317-2327, 2020.
- Z. Hong, T. Sun, S. Jiang, K. Li, Y. Fu, H. Xu, J. Zhang, Y. Liu, Q. Ye, and H. Cang, “Harnessing Deep Learning to Overcome Photo-toxicity for Live-cell Imaging,”
Under Review, 2020.
- S. Jiang, Z. Tao, and Y. Fu, “Segmentation Guided Image-to-Image Translation with Adversarial Networks,”
in Proceedings of 14th IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition (FG), , 2019.
- T. Alashkar, S. Jiang, and Y. Fu, “Rule-Based Facial Makeup Recommendation System,”
in Proceedings of 12th IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition (FG), , 2017.
- T. Alashkar, S. Jiang, S. Wang, and Y. Fu, “Examples-Rules Guided Deep Neural Network for Makeup Recommendation,”
in Proceedings of AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), 2017.
- S. Jiang, and T. Kato, “Dynamic Modelling of Combined Cycle Power Plant for Load Frequency Control with Large Penetration of Renewable Energy,”
in 7th JUACEP Workshop, 2014.
- Y. Fu, S. Jiang, “Segmentation Guided Image Generation with Adversarial Networks”.
US Patent 10,825,219.
- Y. Fu, S. Jiang, B. Sun, “Light-Weight Pose Estimation Network with Multi-Scale Heatmap Fusion”.
US Patent App. No.: 62/976,099.
- Y. Fu, S. Jiang, “Video 2D Multi-person Pose Estimation using Multi-frame Refinement and Optimization”.
WIPO Patent App. No.: WO 2020/232069.
- Y. Fu, S. Wang, S. Lee, S. Jiang, B. Sun, H. Mao, K. H. E. Cheung, “Systems and Methods for Virtual Facial
Makeup Removal and Simulation, Fast Facial Detection and Landmark Tracking, Reduction in … ”.
US Patent App. No: 16/584,310.
Honors & Awards
- NVIDIA CCS Best Student Paper Award, FG 2021.
- Champions of CVPR21 Challenge on Large-Scale Signer-independent Isolated Sign Language Recognition (RGB & RGB-D tracks), 2021.
- 4th Rank in CVPR21 Challenge on Agriculture-Vision (supervised track), 2021.
- PhD Network Travel Grant, Northeastern University, USA, 2019.
- GapFund360 Award, Northeastern University, USA, 2018.
- NSF I-Corps Grant, National Science Foundation, 2016.
- JUACEP Research Award, Nagoya University, Japan, 2014.
- JASSO Scholarship, Nagoya University, Japan, 2014
- Outstanding Scholarship, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.
Conference PC Member and Reviewer:
- International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV)
- International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI)
- IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition (FG)
- IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM)
- IEEE International Conference on Multimedia Information Processing and Retrieval (MIPR)
- IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (TIP)
- IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (TNNLS)
- Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation (JVCI)
- The Vision Computer (TVCJ)
- IET Image Processing
- Journal of Electronic Imaging (JEI)
- IEEE International Workshop on Analysis and Modeling of Faces and Gestures Workshops (AMFG)
This website is generated using source code from Jon Barron.